Well yes, of course they cut up meat but they need lots of other skills:
- To work in the fresh food trade you need enthusiasm and a willingness to learn.
- Being able to work as a member of a team.
- Interacting with customers, making them smile.
- To work to a high standard consistently, in a hygienic and safe manner.
- Using artistic flair to present and display meat and fresh foods.
- Have a genuine interest in food. Many fresh foods shops make their own pies, cook
chilled meals and hot delicatessens, and some even sell wine.
So what about the job prospects?
Good news for young people - the average age of a butcher is over 50, therefore the
managers and owners of today will be looking to retire in a few years time, The career
prospects are excellent for those who are prepared to work hard and learn.
How to find out if the meat trade is for you.
The meat trade is a very large and diverse industry; it employs thousands of people
with jobs ranging from a trainee butcher to slaughter personnel, food processing
staff, quality assurance, micro biologist, food technicians, production managers,
charge hands, supervisors, managers and cooks. Your local Connexions office or
Connexions website will have information on all these careers.
- Make an appointment with your local butcher to find out about the trade
- Contact us and we will try and arrange a visit to a butcher in your area
- If you know you want to be a butcher but have not got a job, contact us
and we will try and assist you in finding a job in your area
- If you have a job in the industry and would like to gain recognised
qualifications for the job you are already doing, are aged between
16-60 contact M.E.A.T (Ipswich) Ltd
- If you would like information on short butchery and meat processing
courses to learn new skills or update your skills and knowledge, try
contacting one of our local training providers such as
M.E.A.T (Ipswich) Ltd and
F. L. Edge & Son Butchery School.
Most men love meat - give them a treat; let them be a butcher for the
day, of course we welcome ladies as well! Celebration present solved.
Anything from carcase breakdown, curing, sausage making, value added products,
BBQ and cooked chill.